The Irish translation of Corrandrum (Corr and Droma) means “the hill on the ridge”. In 1904, £237 was granted for the building of Corrandrum National Schoolhouse. The school was originally opened to pupils in 1907.Inititally, Corrandrum was a one-roomed, two-teacher mixed school, with an average of 90 pupils. A second room was added in the late 1920’s. Children from the three neighbouring parishes-Cummer, Lackagh, and Annaghdown attended the school. The first teacher in Corrandrum was a Moylough man, Joe Carter. He was assisted by Mrs Hanley from Corofin.
The first male student registered in Corrandrum was Patrick Coppinger on April 8th 1907. The first female student registered was Mary Burke, also on that date.